Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Just a year!?






Yes Its been a year! Can you believe it? I sure can't. I've spent a lot of the last several weeks rethinking, reliving and revisiting my journey.  I cannot express the gratitude and appreciation I have for each of you reading this, all the support I've had and continue to have on this journey and the series of events that led me to this point in my life. I cannot thank enough the Donor and that family for allowing the gift of life to be given in the unfortunate event in their life. The journey has made me a very humble person, shown me to have no regrets, and appreciate the gift of life that much more. I need to personally thank my Mom and Dad (and Jake) for the side by side steps they took with me, for me, and the incredible patience they showed, when I move back in, recovered, swang my moods, needed to get out of the house, adjusted medicines and the many many trips to St. Louis. I love you and could not have done any of this without you! Another much appreciated thanks goes to my many work friends and friends in Joplin, who without hesitation visited, called, supported, watched my house and kept me up to date on life, and work. My extended family, especially my uncle Neal and Great friend Joe. Jake, Jarrett, Cole and Eric my best friends who were always there if I needed to call and talk. And several new transplant friends. The other bigger family that I have in Barnes-Jewish employees and personnel.  I spent many nights talking, breathing and putting my complete health and well being in the care of these wonderful people. I wouldn't be here if it was not for all the effort of the above people and the grace of God.

Year visit ----

My PFT's remain phenomenal, 115% and steady. I'm getting "fat" according to a certain few friends and holding 135-140 easy. I have to increase some vitamins, adjust some dosages on immuno-suppressants and get my blood sugars back under control.

Prior to my 1-year appointments I went on IV antibiotics to help with a sinus infection. My cultures indicated that I needed to switch different antibiotics and the lungs were cultured again in my bronchoscopy. The bronchoscopy showed that I have A1 rejection, which is very minimal.  I have had this once before, and while not expecting it feel fairly certain that the rejection will be reversed. The treatment is some increased steroids and another bronchoscopy in the middle of December. My bone density scan showed no Osteoporosis. I also have decided to have my 6th sinus surgery in January to help prolong some more infection. The end result: very good reports.

So over the last year, I've exercised, built myself back up and am normal again.  I was able to play basketball the other night for 3 hours without stopping and coughing up a lung. I could compete, I could run, jump and shoot repeatedly and without pain. I played "21" the basketball game and won. I was able to coach my sons t-ball and soccer team this year. I could also run the whole entire length of the soccer field, yell (I mean coach) and think without passing out.  I played in a corporate challenge (kick ball, ya be jealous) and amazed (and probably scared) my co-workers at my incredible new body. I've been able to swim, run, ride bikes, jump, walk, talk, take care, see the first days of kindergarten, and start new traditions with Brayden. I am most thankful for the opportunity to be able to enjoy life and teach my son again. I can give him the attention he needs and enjoy the joyous life of parenting. This Thanksgiving and Christmas season, I am most proud of the fact that I get to enjoy it whole heartily with minimal worry with my son. The love and support I am now able to extend him, was worth every bit of time that I was away from him during surgery time.  Please see some of the amazing times we've had this year below.  The picture above is a new hobby Brayden and I are learning together. Stargazing and photography in the outdoors. This journey, much like the beautiful sky above has been indescribable! Thank you and God Bless you all!

Please leave a comment, your e-mail or ask any questions and I will gladly reply.








5 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog, it humbles me and makes me realize life is so much bigger then I could imagine. I squeeze my family tighter everyday because I know it can be gone in a heart beat. You are a true idol. I just wanna say thank you for such a beautiful lesson on life, love, and true happiness. God bless you and keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you are doing better every day bro! If you ever need anything we're here for ya buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam-Everytime I read your posts and think about your story and journey, I'm amazed again and again about your amazing attitude, gratefulness, selflessness, and positive outlook. You are a true inspiration to me and others who you are around. You're a survivor who overcomes any obstacle placed in front of you. We are all truly blessed to have you in our lives. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing individual with an inspiring spirit! We are all so proud of you and happy for you at BJH! Keep it up buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could read this over and over again!! Makes me smile! :) Much love to you!! ~Abs

    ReplyDelete