Friday, February 4, 2011

Its been a while....

Sorry to all my blog fans I failed at a few weeks and boy were they crazy so here ya go...

Week 7
The previous visit to the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor showed that I had pseudomonas and was put on a two week preventative course of IV antibiotics.

Week 8

Pft's dropped to 95% and I had a bronchoscopy. The good news of this week is that I can drive by myself! Small steps right!

Week 9

Pft's back up to 97% and a soon to end course of IV antibiotics
The results of the Bronch showed signs of acute rejection. The severity of this rejection is minimal and treated with 3-day round of IV steroids. The biopsy also showed that I cultured another bug, the bug is treated with a oral antibiotic and the a new 2-week course of IV antibiotics. Just a small set back in the road, if all goes as planned things will bounce back rather quickly. I also found out that I will not be able to return to work until the middle of April. Needless to say this set my mood back, and the high dose of steroid did not help my mood at all.

Week 10

Still doing IVs, almost done!! I developed a rash, so we stopped IVs and all new antibiotics. The rash calmed down slightly and just a severe case of steroid acne!

The greatest news yet! I blew 101% on my PFTs. Now I know most of you are asking how can you blow better than 100%? Well haven't you heard of bonus points! DUH!! ha The predicted value is based on an average for people of the same sex, height and race. Since it is a average and a measurement of the volume of Forced Expiratory Volume in one second (FEV1) and if you blow higher than the predicted then you obviously go higher than 100%

I had a doctors appointment this week and we decided to take my button out, blood draws and xray are only one day a week, and I only have to go to rehab at the hospital one day a week. I still have to do rehab at home and at the YMCA.

My 3-month testing was scheduled for the 14th and 15th of this month. That is my 12-week mark which I should be released to return home to get back in routine so that I can see my boy, exercise and get ready to go back to work.

In summary

A slight bump in the road was hit, I'm feeling very well and exercising better than ever. The acute rejection is treatable and in seems to be in control, we will know if its gone after the next bronchoscopy on Feb 15th.

Things are looking great for a return to Joplin here in the next few weeks! Jump for Joy!

Thanks for all the support!
AB

1 comment:

  1. Sweet!!! B can't wait to see you! One weekend was not long enough! Keep dodging those bumps!!! Annnd wear that mask!! :-))

    ReplyDelete