Sunday, December 12, 2010

CF gone????

Many have asked if the lung transplant cures CF. The answer is no but here is the description from the CFF.


Once the person has received a lung transplant, does CF "go away?"
Transplanted lungs come from people who do not have CF, so the new lungs do not have CF. However, after the transplant, the recipient still has CF in the sinuses, pancreas, intestines, sweat glands, and reproductive tract. The new lungs do not “get” CF, but immunosuppressive drugs may decrease the ability to fight germs like Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Burkholderia cepacia (B. cepacia ). These germs may stay in the upper airways after a transplant and can infect the new lungs. The risks of infection are highest right after the transplant operation when immunosuppressive drugs are given at the highest doses so the body will not reject the new lungs. However, these drugs also make it hard for the body to fight infections, which can lead to lung disease.
Taken from http://www.cff.org/treatments/LungTransplantation


So what does this mean?? I don't have my therapy vest or any of my breathing treatments, inhalers, oxygen, or bi-pap machine. This frees up several hours a day for me and allows me to pack a lot lighter and keep less amounts of medicine on board. It means new medicines, I now have to take about 6 new medicines in pill form to cover my immunosuppressive drugs and antivirals. I still have to take insulin and all my pills with meals to help digest my food.

Good news of the weekend? I saw Brayden, for the first time in 3-weeks, and we had a great visit. I walked outside one day for a little and did some hills. Today was too darn cold to do anything outside, so I took pictures of Brayden playing with Grandpa in the snow.

I was able to sleep (in small amounts) on my side again, giving my back a slight break.

I saw an old friend while taking Brayden (not me driving yet) back to his mom.


Things coming up this week:

My first Bronchoscopy... they are going to make sure the lungs are healing up properly on the inside and takes some biopsies of the lung to make sure there are no signs of rejection.

I have 2 x-rays, 2 lab draws, another PFT (pulmonary function test) and pulmonary rehab. At the end of last week I was walking 1.5 miles in a day. Have to see what happens this week!!!

Oh yea, received my shipment of cookies and pretzels, ummm ummmmm, good!

Thanks for reading and stay tuned!

AB

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm glad you got to see Brayden! Your therapy doesn't sound like fun... but it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up!! There's no going back now! B was soooo happy to see you! He said he had a "good weekend!!" He has missed daddy, as you know. Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck or break a leg this week! Thanks for clearing up the ... Not even sure what to call it besides YOUR LIFE.
    Thanks for posting and the pics were fun to see everyone.

    Love ya,
    Michelle

    ps. Taylor wanted to make sure you got the new heart she made you to go with your new lungs? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Adam, I have been checking in with your Mom,Abby and Kate as well. Abby got me connected to your blog so I can keep a check on you. You go buddy, you CAN do this, you have more hutzbah than anyone, I know, and as always, you know your Schroeder family is behind you all the way. Give Brayden a hug for us, and a BIG hug to you.
    Love ya
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Adam, Dane and Joanne ~ Whew...You all have been through so much. I am so happy to hear you are doing so well. I will keep you all in my prayers. I had no idea that you were going through all of this until Casey shared this blog with us. God works in all of our lives each day but you are really getting an inside look at just how amazing HE is. Really a testiment to how much He loves you. In fact it is obvious that you are loved by a great number of folks. Keep improving, we'll keep praying. Take care and peace and love to you all this Christmas. Wayne and Mary Roy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for doing these blog updates, Adam. I really appreciate hearing about all of the progress that you are making and especially your opportunity to spend time with Brayden. BTW, I am supposed to be talking to a consultant today about helping out with the WPC stuff back at work. We miss you - may God give you strength to keep pressing forward!

    -------------Jeff

    ReplyDelete