Wednesday, December 1, 2010

This is it!

At 9:00pm tonight it will be exactly one week ago that I received my new lungs.

I'm being discharged today...orders are written, meeting with the Pharmacist after lunch and I'm out of here.  So long hospital, no offense intended!  I want some home cooking and to sleep in my own bed...I want to see my son, Brayden.

I am so thankful to have this new lease on life and to be able to breathe again.  I have so many people to thank:  the medical teams, doctors, nurses, housekeepers, transporters, aids, dieticians, food service, respitory & physical therapists, x-ray technicians, and all of my family and friends. 

I especially want to thank my maker and Father in heaven...I've been praying, a lot, as many of you have, and feel this gift is truly, a special gift from God.  Words can not explain how I feel.  I also want to think that my brother, Jake, had a lot to do with this. He's up there looking over me and putting in the good word.  I can only imagine he won a poker tournament and the "pay out"deal was to speed up the transplant process for his brother, me.

I want everyone to know I am so grateful for your cards, well wishes, contributions, offers of support, thoughts and all of the prayers that were so successful in my expedient surgical and healing process...what a week this has been.  I think the Doc's in Barnes are all amazed, too.  Hey, maybe they'll ask me to be a transpant consultant?

I will be residing with my parents for the interim time as I recover and until I have clearance to lift, drive, and/or work.  I do have to be very careful with the visitors and any infection items. So, I am asking that anyone considering a visit to please call the house ahead of time to check with me on my therapy schedules and any other health related issues.  I do want to see everyone...it's just going to take a little more time.

I now have 3 months of post operative therapy, both pulmonary and phsysical, at Barnes Hospital. Mom and I will be making daily jaunts to St. Louis.  The transplant team will continue to monitor my progress, watch for signs of infections, and monitor for organ rejection using various techniques to ensure the safety and well being of my new lungs.

It's still a long, uphill battle, but at least I can breath freely, and I don't have all of the debilitating and persistant coughing that I experience the last 26 years.  And, I'm confident I'll be up and running around like I used to, can't wait to play a game of soccer with my son.

Again, thank you, God!

Much Love,

Adam R. Brockmiller
AKA - "The New Man"

12 comments:

  1. Amazing! Truly a miracle that only He could provide! You will be up chasing B around in no time. Still saying prayers and many thanks to God. Have a safe trip home. :)

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home Adam! Cardinal Glennon is so happy for you and your family! The Pulmonary Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. *tears* I am so ecstatic for you!!! Let me know when I can come see you!! I'll wait as long as I need to but die'n to give you a hug!! Love ya! ~Abs

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all work for the Cardinals with Joe Walsh and have heard about you for years. It is nice to be able to see your progrss on this blog. Very happy for you. Cindy Richards

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so happy to hear how well everything has gone for you Adam!! We are praying that your recovery is as blessed as your surgery has been. Take care of yourself and we can't wait to see you again!! Chris, Gina, and Jeff Newton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adam and Family~

    Words cannot express how HAPPY we are for you!!! It is truly a amazing how things work out the way they are meant to be.
    We hope to see you very soon!!! Lots of Love ~ Brad,Jenny, Gracie and Brody

    ReplyDelete
  7. A BIG WOOOT WOOOT!!! Brayden was very happy to hear you are at Grandma & Grandpa's house!! He hollered with excitement, "Whoo Hoo" to be exact!! Get your rest and we'll talk to you later on tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PRAISE GOD FOR HIS MERCY AND GRACE!!! I am in tears! Here's to a smooth recovery and journey into your new life!!!! THANK YOU LORD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What awesome and wonderful news!!! We are so glad and ecstatic for you! We will continue to pray for you and those wonderful cough free days. GOD IS GOOD AND AWESOME!!!!
    Love and hugs!
    Connie & Danny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adam, I am very proud to call you my friend and my brother in Christ!! I was really pleased to see you giving credit to the Lord, without His blessing in this dramatic experience, this could not have been done successfully! Anyways, welcome to your new chance at life, I love you and hope to see you soon!! P.S. text me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great news! I'm so happy to hear everything has gone well with the transplant and you're headed home. I really enjoy reading the blogs and staying informed on how you are doing! Keep up the fight, you're doing great! ~Jessica Van Leer

    ReplyDelete