Friday, December 3, 2010

Home Sweet Home!

It's good to be home and sleeping in a familiar bed. I've taken residence in my old room and have the place to myself and slowly getting things adjusted for me. It's tough moving, lifting, bending or getting into certain positions as I'm feeling the affects of the radical surgery more and more as I'm only getting oral pain med's. You can sure get used to having an epidural and the "good stuff" but I have to get busy and get past the healing phases so I can get busy with my life.

The past couple days have been very busy working with the local pharmacies to get all my antibiotics and rejection medications...I've had a lot of drugs before but this is a whole new learning curve...can you spell and say, "immunosuppressive drugs" three times, real fast?

I've also started my rehab therapy at Barnes, spending time with the nurses, post op coordinators, respiratory and physical therapists, all monitoring my blood cells, breathing, temp, strength, range of motion, speed, and stamina.  I'm able to walk a half mile at a time and my OXYGEN SATURATIONS ARE REMAINING AT 98% - 99%, which is truly amazing. I've not seen these good numbers in a long, long time.  I'm feeling a bit sore, all over, as I think it's from using my muscles again.  The past few years most of my muscle use was for breathing and all of the severe coughing I was doing...what a transition. So, that's why they have me on a regulated therapy plan and will help me get my body in better shape and monitor my blood counts and look for any signs of rejection, which is something we will have to do for the remainder of my life, as most tranplant recipients know.

FYI...I am enjoying the cards, letters, emails, and posts...just don't have the energy or feel like spending any time on the computer, yet.  I am still napping and trying to adjust to the new meds...ever heard of "SIDE EFFECTS" of immunosuppressive drugs?  Just ask my parents...they can tell you, I'm sure. God bless them...they've been through a lot lately, too.

I'm looking forward to a nice, quiet, relaxing weekend with my parents and perhaps we can get caught up with some emails, letters and thank you's...but, don't hold your breath. As far as visitors go, we're taking it slow and have to be careful not to be around anyone that's had, or been exposed to, colds, flu's, bad bugs, or anything suspicious. It's tough to do, but just taking as many precautions as possible.

OK, time for a nap before I have to travel to Barnes for more PT today...

Mom!  Have you seen my blood sugar level test kit, pulse-oxymeter, nebulizer/compressor, insulin syringes and ice water?  I think I left it in my room...can you get it for me?  Are you serious? Ok, if I have to.

5 comments:

  1. AGAIN, we cannot have you sick in any way, shape or form!!!!! Wear that mask and stay away from those who are sick!!! I'm waiting to here back from you about your appt today. Your mom said you were sleeping, so I'm waiting for your call!! Talk to you soon! Bababa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam~
    I really enjoy reading your post you have an amazing spirit...
    I hope everday gets better and better, keep it up!! We will continue to pray for you and your family. Lots of Love~ Brad, Jenny, Gracie and Brody

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you hit a home run Adam. Enjoy every base as you pass it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just so amazed an thankful every time I hear about the progress that you are making, and especially about your 98% oxygen saturation level and your new freedom from coughing! Keep working hard on all of that recovery stuff!

    -------------Jeff

    Psalms 139:14 - "i will praise thee; for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made: marvellous [are] thy works; and [that] my soul knoweth right well."

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great meeting with you and your family on Sunday! I haven't even gotten an chance to start writing yet since I've been inundated with meetings and stuff, but I think I might get going on it today or tomorrow! Hope everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete