Monday, November 29, 2010

Boot Camp for Transplant Recruits

I'm sorry I didn't update my blog earlier, but the powers to be around here have kept me very busy.  It seems once you get out of "The Unit" you're treated just like any other patient, sort of like Boot Camp for transplant recruits.

Here's what happened today.

Up at the crack of dawn this morning to get ready for PT, that's Physical Training.  My DI (Drill Instructor) came in my room turning on all the lights and kicking all the trash cans to scare me. Believe it or not, I had to kick my slippers off and put my walking shoes on. Then the DI, I mean physical therapist,  made me load up my IV pole with my chest tube containers and march up and down the halls, no rest, no breaks, no snacks and worst of all no naps.

Then it was up to the PT room for steps and stairwell training. It felt like I climbed about 10 stories worth of steps, but was about 14 total if I recall correctly.  Still no breaks, rests, snacks or naps. I'm told I need to be able to do steps if I want to go home.

OK, now it's back to my barracks for another physical. The Doc's came in and gave me the once over, again. I had another set of X-rays to check my lungs...they all look good, nothing to report here, keep up the good work.  They say I'll be getting out of here if I keep doing what I'm doing...it's just another day in boot camp.

It seems I'm doing well enough they don't need to monitor all my heart and lung blood pressurres, so I can now have my A-Lines removed...that's Arterial Lines for you non-com's, had three of them total. The femoral A-line was removed the second day after surgery. Today they removed the A-lines that were in my neck and wrist...ah, that sure feels better, thank you very much, may I please have another. I now have more freedom and flexibility, makes for easier moving around from my bunk, to the deck, to the latrine.

Hey, how about these chest tubes!  The Medical Officers are checking on that now. Oh, still oozing and need to keep them in for a bit longer. OK, guess I'm not in a position to argue that one, we will keep them in for awhile longer. It seems it's smarter to keep them in and help drain the extra fluids out...beats having to reinstall new tubes later...Ouch!

Well it's a good thing I have my Porta-Cath, we'll just access it for the remainder of my IV antibiotics. I've had the "port" for about 8 years now and it's still working well.  This is the normal method I use for most of my IV antibiotics for the many "CF Tune Ups" I've had in past years. I'll (hopefully) only use this in the future for antibiotics in the event some infections flare up.

Uh oh, now they say the epidural can come out too...that means I'll have to toughen up a bit and handle the pain with oral medicines.  Hey, I can handle that, should be a piece of cake since I've been swallowing pills and capsules since I was 3 years old.  I remember taking about 20 pills a day back then...it's up a bit now, around 30 a day, and I'm doing insulin shots on top of it, due to my CF related Diabetes.

Wow, this is nice, feels like I've lost about 80 lbs of gear and attachments, should make it much easier to get around the hallways without all the extra hardware. I should be able to walk further and with quicker times.

Ok, PT's back, now it's time for the treadmill, let's just see what kind of stamina we have now.  Hey, not bad, just walked .25 miles in about 18 minutes...that's pretty good, I think. I bet I can do it again, later.

Well, finally, time for some Benedryl and my IV meds...guess I'll take a nap and hopefully my food tray will be delivered jus tbefore I wake up.

Oh, the life of a transplant recruit...hope I get to write home soon! Mom, send more snacks and money so I can wak down to the cafeteria and buy some pretzels.

Over and Out!

5 comments:

  1. Hey buddy!!! I am so happy for you. Doing good, little whiny, but doing good. Just kidding, you are the strongest man I know, other than myself. Can't wait to get up there, been fighting a bad resp. infection, almost over it, still have a cough though. Remember those things!!! Promise I'll be up soon. Want me to bring anything. Better keep climbing stairs, turkey season is next!!! Get all choked up everytime I read this blog. Jarrett

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great sense of humor! I am sooo thrilled to here you're doing well with your PT and that they are removing tubes!!! Keep up the good work and know that Mike and I are watching and cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Adam --wow--I don't think I personally could handle all the tubes and tape and wires and things dangling off my body, much less the really difficult stuff you've lived with all these years. You are one tough guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know for someone who just had a double lung transplant you sure are peppy lol. I am so glad you have this new breath of life to use. I bet you are keeping all those nurses on their toes. Keep up the great work and progress! You are doing great from the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just looked @ all the pics and I could'nt help but becoming very emotional, Im so happy for you and your family and so thankful you got the transplant.
    We are all still thinking and praying for you Adam..
    We love ya Love Jill & Family

    ReplyDelete