Sunday, November 28, 2010

Little Hiccups

Good Morning World!

I slept great, have my pain managment regiment going well.  It is still hard to believe that four days ago I was wondering how I was going to catch my breath between coughing up so much mucus.

I had a a nice breakfast in bed...drank lots of cranberry juice and now I have these annoying little hiccups.

It's so wonderful to breathe...and I'm almost on room air, they plan to wean me off the oxygen today. I think Physical Therapy is coming soon. Hey, gotta go, time to take another 1000' hike on level ground, but looks like they have an obstacle course set up, I see carts, trays, cleaning buckets, and X-ray equiment staged for me to manuever around.  No problem, I can get my 5 wheeler IV pole around those with no problem.

Wow, we're actually doing this on room air, no oxygen tank hissing away now. I'm walking a good clip, monitors show I'm Sat'ing about 97% - 98% and have the green light to keep going.  Hey, these new lungs are great, I'm going for the land speed record today...that's about .45mph.  OK, time to turn around and see if I can make it back without running out of fuel, feels like my gas tank might be low...sure could use some more graham crackers.

Good news!  I'm doing so well with my chest tube drainage they are going to remove 2 of my 4 chest tubes. That should be interesting...here's the Dr. now, let you know how that goes in a minute.

Hey, not bad at all, I thought it would be worse than that, but a piece of cake, actually.  I have 2 chest tubes close to my belly button that just came out...removed some tape, snipped some sutures and they just slid right out.  Oh get this, I was "pre-sutured" and all the Dr. had to do was put a few knots in and my tube wounds are all stiched up now.  Once the oozing slows down a bit more I'll get the other 2 tubes removed.

Oh, also talk going on around here about me moving to a regular room, just down the hall. It's been crowded and noisy around the OU...I'm ready to get away from all the commotion and have some privacy...been seeing way to much of everyone, if you know what I mean?

Mom and dad are here now, going to take a break from my routine and see what's going on in the world outside.

Well, good to hear everyone is so excited about my health and are still praying for my recovery. You know, it's so hard for me to believe I had a lung transplant 4 days ago. Hey mom, did you bring my cell phone? Can I have it?  Wow, what are all of these messages, HOLY COW! This is crazy, I can't believe it.  Mom, did you bring my charger, too?

I'm hungry, would you see if they have any bundles of graham crackers? Oh, would you get me some pretzels, too.  Hey dad, would you get me some diet Pepsi, oh and get me another bucket of ice water, this one's empty.  Ohhhh, Mom, would you see if they have a potty I can use? OK, got all of that nasty stuff out of the way, now it's time to get in my bed and eat some snacks.

This is awesome, I can't believe so many people have posted on my blog and my Facebook wall. 

I'm feeling OK now, just trying to read some of them but really don't have the energy to answer any messages or do much online now...maybe later tomorrow or the next day I'll have a bit more strenght. I need to walk again soon, so better keep some fuel for that.  Uh oh, here come's Physical Therapy again, I think they want to see me lifting my arms up over my head and moving them around so I don't get locked in one position, or something like that....Oh, just want to make sure my incissions don't hurt too much and you want me moving my arms to help keep my chest so its not so tight and help my lungs expand, I get it. Oh a one, and two, and three, and four...ouch, that hurts a bit.

4 comments:

  1. Adam...I so glad you have this blog going...even if mom or dad write it...it is so wonderful to keep in touch with you and read about your recovery...Keep the good news coming! Blessings and love to you!!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam, We are so glad to hear that everything went well with your surgery. We are following your blog and looking at the pictures and everything looks great. Keep up the great recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Don and Frances Nuernberger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam and Family,
    We appreciate the blog so much! It is great to be able to continually read your progress-it is wonderful to 'hear' everyone's high spirits! I will only be another tally to those who have already commented on how 'amazing' and how 'wonderful' this all is! And it is! :-) Please take it easy and rest as much as you can. I think there are going to be A LOT of people who have big plans for you once you bust out of there for good! (You should be K-State bound in May!)

    Take it easy, dude! :-)
    Love-Amanda, Tim, Kaylee and Cash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey lookin good my man. I see you went through with the breast implants!!! right on. I am so happy for you man, cant wait to see you.

    Jarrett

    ReplyDelete